« Back to Home

How To Respond When Your Ex Refuses To Pay Alimony

Posted on

When you have gone through a divorce, you might experience substantial changes in your lifestyle. However, depending on your income and your spouse's income, you might be entitled to alimony. If you are given alimony, however, there is a risk that your ex might choose only to pay a portion of the alimony or may pay nothing at all. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to enforce alimony and get paid.

The First Steps to Take

The first step you should take is to speak with a family law attorney. You might be able to reach out to your ex to negotiate a repayment plan. If you cannot negotiate a payment plan, your family law attorney might encourage you to take your ex to court so that you can structure a payment plan.

Court Judgements

The court might issue a judgment for the amount that you are still owed and might also charge interest. However, even with the judgment, you will need to enforce the judgment. If your ex refuses to pay, there are methods available that can make your ex pay such as garnishing wages or placing a lien on a piece of property. When a lien is placed on the property, such as a car or a piece of real estate, your ex will not be able to sell the property.

The Seizure of Property

The sheriff has the ability to seize the property and sell it after you receive a court order. It might be necessary to hire a private investigator to find out if your ex owns any property that can be sold.

Life Insurance Policies

The court may require your ex to take out a life insurance policy so that your monetary interests can be protected in the event that your ex passes away. You may also be able to file a creditor's claim against the estate of your ex and you will then be able to collect to receive a portion of the assets.

Contempt of Court

With all of the court orders that your ex receives, your ex might choose to not comply with the court orders. If this is the case, your ex might be held in contempt of court. They might then face jail time and punitive fines. Regardless of which approach you decide to take, it's important to make sure that you receive legal advice from your family law attorney.