« Back to Home

How To Seek Compensation From A Contractor After A Failed Renovation Project

Posted on

You might be excited about the work that a contractor will do on your home. However, when you finally hire the contractor, you might be shocked at the results of the project. Many clients may simply believe that the project simply didn't go well. However, you might have legal recourse after your project fails.

How to Work Things Out

You may think that the work that was done on your building is substandard or it might simply not be finished on time. The contractor might have left work unfinished after promising they would do it. If this is the case, you may be entitled to compensation.

You may be able to discuss the issue with the contractor and somehow work things out. In many states, you are required to give the contractor an opportunity to remedy the situation. However, in many cases, you will need to turn to a law firm for help and take legal action against the contractor. Then, you might be able to be reimbursed for the cost of any repairs you might need.

When Your Contract Has Been Breached

If your project has explicit terms and the contractor fails to adhere to these terms, you may be able to take legal action over a breach of contract. You must provide evidence that specific sections of the contract were breached. Make sure to explain the work that was agreed to in the contract and that you include all invoices and receipts. 

Cases of Fraud

In some cases, a contractor can be considered guilty of fraud. For example, if the contractor misrepresents information associated with the project, such as the quality of the materials to be used during the project, they might be seen as guilty of fraud.

Poor Workmanship

The project was completed in a manner that is unsatisfactory, it might be more difficult to prove that this is the case. You will need to take photographs of the work that was done on the building and compare it to what was agreed to in the contract.

While you have the option to settle your case in small claims court, you should discuss with a law firm whether you should settle your case out of court. To avoid trial, you may need to negotiate a settlement with the contractor or you may be able to file a claim against their insurance provider as an easy way to be reimbursed for the project.

For more information, contact a local law firm.