« Back to Home

Non-Economic Damages: What Are They And Do Qualify For Them?

Posted on

If you suffered mental problems due to your car accident, you may wonder if it's possible to obtain compensation for your condition. Although it can be tough, you may be able to claim non-economic damages in your case. However, you'll need a personal injury attorney's help to obtain the medical documentation you need for your claim. Here's more information about non-economic damages and how you can pursue them.

What Are Non-Economic Damages?

Personal injury cases fall into two distinct categories: economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages describe injuries that affect your livelihood and financial health. The injuries usually interfere with your ability to work or support your family on a temporary or permanent basis. Your hospital bills and medical expenses may also affect your finances.

Non-economic damages describe injuries that affect your physical, mental, and emotional health. These types of injuries may include depression, anxiety, pain and suffering, and stress. Although non-economic damages can potentially affect you financially, it can be difficult to calculate the exact amount or compensation for them. If an insurance company does approve your claim for non-economic damages, the amount may not represent the true value of your injuries.

Because non-economic personal injury claims can be difficult to determine or compensate appropriately, it's important to have a personal injury attorney on your side.

How Do You File for Non-Economic Damages?

A personal injury attorney can help you complete your claims for non-economic and economic damages. It's essential that you file for both types of injuries to avoid issues in the future. For example, if your financial problems don't improve after your accident, it can place additional emotional stress on you. The stress can potentially make your auto accident injuries worse, or it can create new health issues for you.

An attorney can also send you to the proper medical specialists during your case. Although traditional physicians can recognize the signs of emotional distress and other related problems, they may not have the credentials to diagnose or document your condition properly. However, psychiatrists, psychologists and other specialists can provide the proper diagnosis and documentation you need to secure your non-economic claim.

It's important to maintain close contact with an attorney during your case. You may need to see additional specialists or obtain new medical documentation of your non-economic injuries. If you have any concerns about your case, don't hesitate to contact an attorney for answers.

The mental distress caused by auto accidents can be devastating. If you need help now, contact a personal injury attorney for a consultation, such as Franklin L. Jones, Jr..